Sunday, December 2, 2012

Surgery

On Friday I went through foot surgery to remove excess bone on the fifth metatarsal of my right foot. It's been a long journey since June to determine the cause of my pain and to properly ultimately diagnose it. I'm lucky that I got a really good doctor who was willing to work with me to get answers instead of just trying to mask the pain. After wearing a brace, x-rays, MRI and weeks and weeks of different trials of me being out of tennis, he determined that my pinky bone over developed and grew, pushing on my nerves along the outside of my foot and ultimately causing pain.

While I was under general anesthesia, my doctor cut me open on the topside about two inches long and then shaved down the bone and reshaped and smoothed it out. I have stitches, some that will dissolve and others that won't, and I have a nice dressing covering the incision with a surgery shoe over that. According to the doctor the surgery went well as as he expected. I was slightly nauseous all day Friday from the anesthesia but wasn't in too much pain. Today my foot has been a bit more sore and painful but I'm keeping if elevated with ice 30 min on and 30 min off all day.

I am so thankful for Ricky. He has taken such good care of me. It's hard for me to be as helpless as I've been the last couple of days and he's been the best hubby ever. He's so caring and patient with me. Between taking care of me, the boys and the house, he's had his hands full. I am also very grateful to have two legs and the ability to walk and run. Having to use crutches and not be able to get around as easily as I'm used to has been a little humbling and eye opening. I look forward to the day when I can get back on two feet.

I go back on Monday for my follow up appointment and I'll get to see the incision and hear what the doctor thinks about the timeline for my recovery. I'm hoping to hear that all is well and healing quickly! I’m hoping it will be the standard six weeks recovery. More to come!

 Not the cutest picture but it was 7:00 am and I was about to go into surgery so I get a break. 
My new fancy shoe. 
My little helpers.  They try hard to help take care of me.  I even got the two of them to sit with me in bed and watch a show. They have both shown moments of concern for me and want to know if my foot still hurts.  Then a few minutes later they want me to jump up and help them do something.  Lincoln told me I could just get up with my crutches and help him. Easier said then done I'm afraid. 
This is how my foot looked at my follow up appointment the following Monday.  Stitches are in for two weeks.
The purple circle is where he shaved the bone off.  The doctor signed my foot prior to surgery to ensure the right bone on the right foot was being shaved. 

1 comment:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Wishing you a quick recovery. I bet that even now you would still kick my butt in tennis.