Sunday, September 14, 2014

Tennis Sectionals

Our 3.5 women's team finally made it to USTA sectionals  together after winning both the fall and spring season. We were so excited to get a chance to go and we had worked hard to get there. Unfortunately for me sectionals came just three and a half weeks after spraining my ankle.  The doctor said I would know if I could play and it was feeling pretty good but unfortunately it kept me from playing two matches in a day, which is what I was planning for. Good news is that the sectionals host site was Scottsdale so we were essentially away for a stay-cation at the Hotel Valley Ho.  It was an extremely hot and humid weekend with court temperatures reading at 155 on the first day mid morning match.  I won all three of my doubles matches but unfortunately as a team we ranked 4th. Win or lose it's always a great time with this group of ladies!  As a result of my wins, I'm now bummed to 4.0 but haven't been able to play this new season yet as I still work through healing this ankle.
 Elements of Surprise
 Hanging out before dinner at Casa Anderson's. 


 Trying to stay cool under the tent before our 10:30 match. 
These three are our best cheerleaders - Ricky, Brad and Roger.  Ricky has gotten me through MANY matches with his uplifting and motivating cheerleader voice....that my opponents happen to hate! 
This crazy group. We always make a scene and have a blast wherever we go. This was the players party.
Coincidentally, just a few days after I got home from sectionals, while I was packing things around the house, I found my old high school tennis racket. It was a nice racket back then (bought it at Tennis Warehouse in SLO where I bought my current racket) but boy has technology changed. This racket is so much heavier than what I use today. It was fun to see it an reminisce for a few minutes on all the great high school matches this racket, purposely chosen to match my high school colors, went through. Good times. Good memories. 

No comments: