Saturday, August 29, 2009

Apparently Lincoln Really Likes Nectarines

We had just finished dinner and headed out to the grocery store. Lincoln was sitting in the grocery cart and I asked him if he wanted to help me pick out some fruit. I handed him a bag to hold and told him to open it so mommy could put the fruit in it. I proceeded to pick out a perfectly ripe nectarine and put it in the bag Lincoln was holding open for me. I turned around to pick out a few more pieces of fruit. After selecting a couple more nectarines I turned back around to face Lincoln and put them in the bag. To my surprise, Lincoln had taken the first nectarine out of the bag and had taken several large bites out of it. I wasn't quite sure how to respond. He had never done that before, I didn't have my back to him for more than a minute, he had just eaten a huge dinner, and he was eating fruit that hadn't been washed or purchased. So...I started busting up laughing. A few seconds later Rick came around the corner from another aisle and saw the result of what had just happened. He, like me, just started laughing. What else do you do. You can't punish your child for eating fruit. In fact, Lincoln was quite proud of himself. He continued to chow down on the nectarine until he got to the pit and half of the fruit was gone. He ate it as if he had never eaten before. I of course started taking pictures; trying very hard to keep the camera still as I continued to laugh at the situation. Then Rick and I turned to each other trying to figure out how you pay for a half eaten nectarine when they charge by the pound!? Needless to say, I put the half that remained uneaten in it's own bag and proceeded to checkout after our shopping was complete. I was so embarrassed as I confessed to the clerk that Lincoln had eaten half of the fruit and I wasn't sure how she would ring that up. She assured me it wasn't a big deal and not to worry about it.
I'm sure this is one of those stories that is more funny if you were there - but trust me - it was pretty dang funny. Here are a few pictures to prove it.





1 comment:

Freckles Phillips said...

Haha. The second to last picture is the best!