Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Sound of Freedom

I'm sure there are some who would complain if they heard jets flying over their house multiple times a day.  I however, am not one of those.  Especially because not just any jet is flying over, they are F16 fighter jets.  It's not as loud as one would imagine (unless they go right over the top of the house) but I think it's quite a unique impressive sound that reminds me of the cost and joys of freedom.  We are about 15 - 20 minutes away from Luke Air Force Base.  The fighter planes fly daily in different formations for routine practice.  Most of the time we see them flying solo or with one wing man. 
Lincoln has really taken to airplanes since we've moved here.  I'm sure it's a combination of flying on several commercial flights in the last month but also with visibility to the F16's.  We went to a place for dinner last night similar to a Chuck-E-Cheese and when Lincoln turned in his tickets he picked toy jet as his prize. We talk to him about what these F16's do and I'm grateful for the opportunity we will have to teach him love of country and about freedom.  We often get caught up in our own worlds with the day to day duties of life.  Now when I hear an F16 fly by, I'm grateful that it's a reminder to stop and count my blessings and remember that there are men and women out there fighting for the freedom of us and others. 

1 comment:

Dangcutekids said...

Spencer is straight jealous right now. I think he's ready to move next door just for the jets!! Wish they'd fly over here!