Sunday, November 28, 2010

Work Trip to L.A.

I had to travel back to California for work two weeks ago. I was running a job fair for work in Woodland Hills. I flew out on Tuesday and met my friend/co-worker, Heather, at the airport. We headed to Woodland Hills to meet a few of her hiring managers for dinner. We ate at Kate Mantilini, which was fairly fancy and quite delicious. Since Heather hadn't been to LA before we decided that we would spend all extra time sight seeing and I took her to as many tourist hot spots as possible. After dinner we drove down to the Santa Monica pier. Unfortunately, it was about 10:30 pm when we got there so everything was closed but we walked the pier and she got to see the beach and the famous Ferris wheel. 

Wednesday was the big work day. After the walk through of our event space at the hotel, we met up with the executive and headed to the office with his team. Later that evening was our successful job fair where we had about 400 people attend! I got to meet a few of my other teammates that I hadn't met before. It was a long night but a good time. Lots of lasting memories!

Thursday morning was another work day with some morning meetings but we ended up getting tickets to the Tonight Show with Jay Leno.  Heather and I went to Burbank in the late afternoon for the taping. The guests on that day were President George W. Bush and the singer Jewel. Security was really tight and we weren't allowed to take cameras. The president has a new book out that he was promoting. I was surprised at how quick-witted and funny he is. We were seated in the last row of the studio but really we were only about 50 feet away. He stayed on set during the commercials and signed books for the audience. It was so much fun! Again, trying to maximize our time after the taping we went to Hollywood! We started with dinner at CPK in the Hollywood and Vine shopping complex. We walked around there did some shopping, enjoyed the street performers, saw some crazies, saw Kodak and El Capitan theater and visited Mann's Chinese Theater.

Friday morning we were off to the airport. I've always wanted to eat lunch at the Encounter. It's the restaurant in the sky in the middle of LAX. Unfortunately it wasn't as good as I expected if to be but it was worth trying it. Business trips can be exhausting but this one was REALLY fun. I always enjoy spending time with Heather, we had a great event, and we got to do a lot of fun touristy things!
 Heather at Santa Monica Pier

My coordinator Jennifer, Me and Heather at P.F. Chang's after the job fair.
 I wish I had this picture on my camera but I had to borrow from the internet.  There were dozens of LAPD, Secret Service and Burbank Police officers around the studio.  If you even looked like you were going to take a picture, you heard about it from them.
 Kodak Theater
 The Disney Store at El Capitan
 Who can resist a picture with Spiderman?? Especially one who colors his white tennis shoes red!? 
Grauman's Chinese Theater
 Cher made her hand and foot prints the day we were there. 
 I was surprised that so many of the prints were from actors years ago.  There were a handful of newer ones though.
 Star Wars Characters - This ones for my boys!
 Since I saw him in New York (practically ran into him) I thought it would be fun to have my picture next to his star.
Encounter is in the dome at the top of this strange structure. 
The food was okay but the place is old.  It tries to be a lot more fine dining and exclusive then what it really is.  It's a place past it's prime.

No comments: