Thursday, July 7, 2011

File Cabinet Make-Over

Ricky had this beige blah colored file cabinet since before we were married.  I've never been fond of the color but since it works properly I had no reason to get a new one.  Since we moved to our house the file cabinet has been in my office. Our walls are plantation beige in color so I felt like it clashed and now was something that I had to look at everyday. Enough was enough. I decided I was going to make a change.  After searching online as to ways that I could change it up, I made up my mind and spent some time over the weekend to make it happen!

Here are a few things I learned along the way.

  • Don't trust the employee at the Walmart paint counter when they tell you that the generic brand is the exact same spray paint as the name brand.  What I found out is that the paint may be the same but the nozzle is VERY different.  The Krylon nozzle is worth every extra dollar you spend.  After spraying three cans of generic spray paint my arms were exhausted.  My muscles were cramping and I couldn't finish.  After returning to the store to get more Krylon paint the next day, I was able to finish with ease. 
  • You should probably wear something over your face when spraying five cans of spray paint. I thought I was really careful but didn't realize how much I was actually inadvertently inhaling.  I was blowing my nose a couple days later and still ended up with a black tissue!
  • It's not smart to spray paint and then leave the garage door open during a windy monsoon season.  I got a pretty good layer of dust on my fresh paint that I had to clean off.

 
I LOVE the finished product!  My office is red, black and white so it looks so much nicer.  It's the small things in life!

1 comment:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Looks awesome. Will you please come decorate my house.