Thursday, August 18, 2011

Conversations with Lincoln

When we change Logan's diaper, recently Lincoln has been very interested in watching, specifically wanting to see the poop.  I'm a little concerned about this so I decided to see if I could get some answers.

Me: "Why do you want to always see the poop?"
Lincoln: " Because I want to see it."
Me: "Isn't it gross and stinky?  I think it's yucky.  I don't understand why you always want to look at it. How come you always want to see it?"
Lincoln: "Because I'm going to be a poop doctor."
**************

Tonight we were out in the backyard and the wind started to pick up as a storm was rolling in.
Me: "Okay, we're going to go inside in a minute because a storm's coming and it's getting windy."
Lincoln: "Mom, you better get Logan or he's going to blow away."

After a few minutes I started to see the lightning and hear the thunder.  

Me: "Lincoln, I see lightning so it's time to go in."
Lincoln: "No, I want to stay and touch the lightning."
Me: (not really thinking about what I was saying since I was trying to clean up the toys in the yard) "No, if lightning touches you it will kill you."
Lincoln: "It will kill me?"
I went on to explain that it would hurt him really bad and he would have to go to the doctors if lightning touched him, etc.
As we were walking into the house Lincoln pauses.
Lincoln: "Mom, quick, come look at this cloud."
I looked up and sure enough it was a dark gray storm cloud. 
Lincoln: "It's gonna kill me."

Okay, I learned my lesson. I have to watch what I say. Everyday I'm reminded of that...eventually I will learn.  After he said that I went into damage control and tried to talk through what that means and clouds won't kill us, etc.

This is a self portrait he had to do for school.  I think his writing is really good for his age but I don't really have anything to compare it to.

No comments: