Thursday, August 18, 2011

Lincoln's First Day of PreSchool

Lincoln has been going to a structured daycare program three days a week for the last year.  We call it school but it technically was child care, although they have lessons, focus on letters, numbers, writing, etc. Last week he started an official preschool program through our school district.  While his vocabulary and sentence structure is really good, his pronunciation of certain letters has qualified him to be enrolled in the speech program.  He is at age level for all of the letters he is supposed to know but for the ones he can't pronounce properly (sounds for r, l, ch, sh, y, etc.) he doesn't substitute it for the common sound.  Common being the sounds other 3 year olds would substitute it with.  Instead of yep - it's wep.  Instead of Logan - it's Wogan.  Instead of teacher - it's teetser.

We're really excited that he is in a class with 10-12 other students, with two teachers and a speech therapist.  He only goes for 2.5 hours a day, four days a week.  I think it will be a really good transition for him into kindergarten.  It's set up like kindergarten.  They have a structure including, lesson (activities based around the sound they are working on) snack, recess, show and tell, etc.

I attended a meet the teacher night, there's a PTA, the whole nine yards.  It was a little weird to think that he's old enough to be going through this.  Next it's kindergarten, middle school and high school.  He needed to have a full size children's backpack so we went shopping for a backpack and school supplies.  It was a little surreal.  I'm a mom. I have a child in the school system.  When I was young I dreamed of having a family and being a volunteer in my kids classes at school and that time is here.  It's funny to say but sometimes I pause to realize that this is what I wanted for all those year and I'm now living that. I won't say it's been easy or that my boys are angels but it's my life. I have a quote on my office wall that I really love.  It is something that I'm trying to do better at so I posted in it big beautiful letters.
"Enjoy this moment, for this moment is your life!"
 Logan seemed to be just as excited about all of it as Lincoln was.
 The motto in our house is that brothers are best friends!
 The first day he used his old Diego backpack but he later picked out a new Transformers backpack with Bumblebee on it. 
 That smile is precious.  He was so excited to go to his new class. Lincoln has never been afraid to be away from us, to go to a new place or struggled to make friends.
 He's tall enough to look like he's going into kindergarten but it's crazy when I remind myself that he's really only 3 1/2!  

We had to have spikes for the first day.  Unfortunately since I was on my trip the two weeks before school started we never got him a haircut but we've since taken care of that too!

No comments: