Friday, October 7, 2011

My First Singles Tennis Match

I've always considered myself a doubles player...until now.  Last night was my first singles match in competition play.  I've had a lot of singles practice matches with other players on my teams but have always ended up playing doubles on game nights. I was scheduled to play doubles last night but in the car on the way over to the courts our captain switched it up and put me at #1 singles. I'm a team player and will play wherever I'm needed.  I was anxious, excited and a little nervous about playing singles.  Mentally I was prepared for doubles, which is quite a different game.  I was also wearing new shoes that I was breaking in and had never played at these courts before (they had terrible lights and no score cards) so there were a lot of new elements for me. I didn't play as well as I wanted to.  I made a lot of unforced errors and our match ended up being a good battle. After just over two hours of play, I won!!  I was determined and did fairly well at staying focused. Our scores were 6-4, 7-6...it was pretty close.  I'm glad I was able to pull out a win because our team won 3-2. Had I lost we would have lost the whole match. I'm playing singles at nationals so this was great practice.  Here's to more singles matches!
P.S. - I had to wear a jacket to my game last night. We've actually hit weather in the 70's and it's starting to feel like fall!

No comments: