Sunday, October 30, 2011

National Tennis Tournament

My 3.0 tennis team made it to the USTA National Tennis Tournament, held in Tucson, AZ last weekend. We went into this tournament undefeated but we knew the competition would be much better than what we've encountered in other matches. My personal goal was to win one match.  If I could do that I would feel like it was a good experience. This team has had a lot of drama throughout the season.  We lost a lot of our team throughout the season due to the controversy leaving us with only 9 players - much less than what the other teams have.
We were in the toughest bracket, having to play four teams verses the other brackets that had three.  We also had back to back matches on Saturday.  On Friday morning I played #1 singles against the Northern division and won 6-3, 6-3. On Friday afternoon I played #1 doubles with Deb against the Southern team and unfortunately we lost in a very close third set tie breaker.  We lost the first set 1-6, won 7-5 in the second and lost 7-10 in the tie breaker. We fought hard and Deb was playing with an ankle injury so we were pretty bummed that we were so close and lost. Southern went on to win the title.
Saturday morning I played a doubles match with Trina against the Caribbean.  We lost 1-6, 3-6.  We weren't originally scheduled to play together during this match but we went with it.  Trina and I played well but there were just a lot of distractions and I don't think we played our game but it was fun to play with Trina. We had about 45 minutes in between our two matches that day and I ended up playing a singles match for the afternoon. I was pretty tired and it was a really hot day.  I wasn't thrilled about my serve.  It had been off a little all day Saturday.  I ended up with some really good points but ultimately lost it in a second set tie breaker 2-6, 6-7. I was so close to pushing it to a third set tie break but couldn't make it happen.  Some of those missed shots have haunted me a little since the tournament but I can say it as a really good experience.
Ricky had never seen me play tennis competitively before so it was special for me to have him there and cheer me on.  Thanks to Reed, Sandi and Nat would took the boys during the matches so that Ricky could come watch.  It was fun to have everyone there to help support me in this tournament.  Having gone in undefeated it was hard to have my first losses at a National Tournament but overall it was a very good experience. I got my one win and considering everything that was going on I think I played fairly well and I'm proud that we got got to that level.

Our team pictures before match #2. 
My closest friends on the team; Angie, Lisa and Trina. 

 Ricky caught a few good action shots while he was there. I only have pictures from the two matches that he got to watch. This was my afternoon doubles match against Southern on day 1. 

We don't have set partners on the team because we're such a small team and have had a lot change. I played with Deb for this match. Normally I make funny faces when I play so it was nice to see a picture of me actually smiling on the court. 
  My serve was exactly what I wanted it to be for day one.  Unfortunately I struggled a bit with it on day two but was still able to pull out a few aces so I guess I can't complain too much!
 These action shots are from my last match of the weekend.  A singles match.  Ricky was so sweet and supportive and watched from a court away so that I wouldn't be nervous - and so he could stay in the shade because by this time it was ridiculously hot!

1 comment:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Congrats!! YOu played awesome. It was so fun to come watch. I wish I could have seen more. YOu are a great player and I apparently watched your hardest match.