Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Young and In Love

Someone once said, "Date night is expensive but marriage counseling will be more."  I've tried to take that to heart and realize that date nights are important and worth the expense.  We try to get out once a month or so just to have time for us to be together away from the kiddos.
I had a gift certificate to a restaurant that we'd never been to before, Calico Jack's. We walked in and Ricky headed to the bathroom while the host seated me. The employee began to tell me that we had the best seat in the house...for what he perceived to be a date. I confirmed that it was in fact date night. Then he asked, "is it a first date?" I couldn't help but laugh out loud.  Then I replied, "Oh no, we've been married for eight years and we have two kids.  We're way past the first date."  He seemed a little embarrassed and then went about his business shortly before Ricky returned to the table.
A lot of thoughts ran though my head as I was replaying the conversation to Rick.  I was glad that I looked young enough that I couldn't have possibly been married for 8 years and have two kids.  I was more excited about the fact that Ricky and I still look like we're in love...in a possible budding romance...a fresh and exciting relationship.  It's all true!  We are in love.  I'm not gonna lie, some days it doesn't feel very fresh and new but I get really excited to spend quality time with him and it reminds me of our dating days or pre-children days. It's way to easy to get stuck in a marriage rut and I think date night is the perfect fix.
We had a great time together, even if the food wasn't all that great and the restaurant is somewhere we wouldn't go back to.  Time together is important so I'm grateful I have an eternity with Ricky.
I figured this is a good time for a flashback...
Our Engagement Picture
 Our wedding day - we were much younger!

No comments: