Friday, November 11, 2011

Party In the House

Literally.  Last weekend we threw both Lincoln and Logan a big Lego themed birthday party at our house.  I had been planning this party for months so we were excited that it had finally come.  We've decided that while the boys are young, we'll have a birthday party for them every other year and do something as a family on the off year.
Parties are a lot of work but I have to admit that I really love planning them. Since Lincoln is so into Legos right now, and Logan loves whatever Lincoln does, it made for an easy choice of theme. The problem with Lego parties is that there isn't a lot of pre-made Lego party things that you can buy so I ended up making a lot of it. We had about 40 people here and everyone seemed to have a good time.  It was a mix of friends from church, tennis, neighbors, work and family. We played Lego themed games, had lunch, sang Happy Birthday and opened presents.  Everything went according to plan and the boys had a ton of fun.  Lincoln said several times, "this is the best birthday party ever!"  That is what makes it all worth it.
The Save the date (I removed our last name for privacy)

The invitations (again, I removed some info for privacy)

The thank you cards
I made the gift bags to look like Lego bricks. 
I started making the crayons for the gift bags months ago.  I got the idea off of some blogs but most of them made mini-figure crayons so I thought this would be a fun twist - especially since most of the kids at the party were younger. I bought new crayons, sorted them out by color, took off the wrapper, melted them down in the microwave and used a Lego brick ice tray to form them.  
 
Inside each gift bag was a Lego Club Magazine, Lego brick crayons, Lego edible bricks that you can actually build with and a Lego mini gift set (the little kids got Playdough instead of the Lego set.)
  
To me it's the little details that count.  I saw this on a blog and used the idea. Lego soap.

 I made the boys their own cake and added a few cupcakes as well.  They were just white cake, with confetti frosting filling, buttercream icing and rolled fondant. Lincoln wanted a green brick and I picked blue for Logan. I thought it would be cute for them to have the corresponding brick for their age, i.e. Lincoln's has 4 dots and Logan's has 2. 
I loved how the subway art turned out. I blocked out their last name for blogging purposes but it really fit the theme well and was cute on the table next to their cakes. 
 
Yoda, the Lego head and a container of Duplos served as the center piece for our food table.
I made Lego bricks out of colored paper and hung them on the walls.  I know our boys love balloons and they always add life to a birthday party so we had about 50+ around the house.
Logan's goal for the entire day seemed to be to get as much cake, cupcakes and candy as possible.
Papa Tutu and cousin Sadie
 
Grandma Tutu played with the boys while we got things ready in the morning.
 Ricky and Aunt Carol
 Uncle Lee (and Carol) stayed most of the day with us to visit and have dinner with us. 
 Michaela, Jared and their niece Heidi came for the party. 
 Doug, Lisa, Dylan and Sadie
Ryan and Saige
The first game was a Lego relay. 
Lincoln and Dylan running their bricks in a spoon to the bucket.  
We played pin the dot on the brick. 
 
Abbie, Joey and Lincoln looking for the Lego brick with a black dot on the bottom so they could get a prize. 
 
The table was covered in Duplos and each child picked a brick to see if they had the winning Lego.
After lunch we sang "Happy Birthday" and it was time for cake!

Lincoln blew his candles out on his own and I got to help Logan with his.
 It was a fairly cold day but the kids all loved playing outside and eating together. 
Cousin Erica came from Tucson with her family. 
 Lincoln and Logan both got some really fun presents.   
 Lincoln was so excited and animated when opening his presents, unfortunately Logan was to the end of his rope. 
Logan was off for a nap and we decided it was best that he opened his presents after his nap - when he would be a little happier. 
 After the party and later that afternoon when Logan woke up we did round two of presents.  Logan was much more interested and happy this time. 
He played with the little Lego guy and tried to make him talk.
 
Logan got some fun Duplo sets...
and super cute clothes. 
 
I'm not sure if Ricky or Lincoln liked this movie better, either way it was fun to watch. 
That night Tutus took us to dinner at TGIF and then we came back to the house to hang out, visit some more and so the boys could play with all of their new toys.
Daddy helped Lincoln build this X-wing.
 
Thanks to everyone who called, sent cards and sent texts on their birthdays.  Lincoln got pretty good at talking on the phone.  At one point he was holding the phone with his ear and shoulder and using his hands to play with his Legos. 

Bottom line is that parties are always a lot of work, time and money but they are also a lot of fun!  We were so happy to share that day with those who came and missed those who couldn't be here.  Logan is a little young to remember but I think special memories were created for the boys (especially Lincoln) that they will have for years to come.  Happy Birthday to my sweet boys.  I love you!

4 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

That was an amazing party!!! Thanks for inviting us up. The girls had a great time. I think I will be hiring you as my party planner next time.

Ligia said...

Have any great ideas for a party for my kids? I'm out of ideas. They're both in Feb. That looked so fun. Super clever. I loved the bags made of legos and the crayons you made. Awesome. How long did that take? Did you come up with that all on your own or is there a party planning site I'm not aware of somewhere? If so, please share. :)

The King Family said...

Happy Birthday Boys! Eden, you are so creative. Wish we lived closer so we could collaborate more! I don't know where you find the time!

Spencer said...

Wow you thought of everything. What an amazing party with all the details. INCREDIBLE. I think my boys would flip over a party like this. Way to go Eden and Ricky! Happy Birthday Logan and Lincoln!