Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Camping

If at first you don't succeed, give up and go home!  Well that was sort of true for us this weekend.  I wanted to go camping over the weekend so on Friday afternoon we headed up to Sedona in hopes of some good outdoor play in cooler temperatures. We actually tried three different campgrounds in the Sedona area and all three were full.  We ended up another 15 miles or so up the road, just outside of Flagstaff.  It was nearing dark and we had to get a campsite quickly in order to avoid setting up camp in the dark.  Fort Tuthill was the next closest campground so we pulled in at took a spot.

Little did we know this campground was nothing but loose dirt, it had no showers and port-a-potties for toilets.  It was definitely not what I had in mind.  We set up camp and went to bed. The grounds were right next to an amphitheater which was hosting a live REO Speedway concert until almost 11:00 pm that night. Annoying. We also didn't realize that the fairgrounds next door was putting on a dog show the next day.  EVERYONE around us had at least a half a dozen dogs in their itty bitty campsite.  We survived the night's cold temperatures and with very little sleep we got up the next day, ate breakfast and packed up camp.  It was an early start to our day since Logan got up with the sun just before 5:00 am. We planned to camp for two nights but one was officially enough.

We spent the rest of the day doing activities around Sedona. We played in the Oak Creek, had a picnic, visited Montezuma's Well and Castle and then headed home. It ended up making for a long day but we made the most of it and got to spend some time exploring new areas. I forgot how much work it is to go camping so I'm sure it'll be a while before we do that again.










We had to take a small hike to get down to another part of the river. Logan did not want to hold my hand but because it was fairly steep and required us to maneuver over some large rocks I told him he had to hold my hand so that he wouldn't trip.  A few minutes later I step wrong coming off a rock and Logan says to me, "good thing you tripped and I didn't."  Oh, what will I do with these smartypants when they're teenagers.

As we drove through the red rock canyons of Sedona, Lincoln exclaimed, "look, I see Cars Land!" I have to admit that close up it looks a lot like Radiator Springs.



1 comment:

The King Family said...

Fun?! My kids keep asking when we are gonna go camping, but I'm like you- it just seems like a lot of work, especially since we haven't done it with them yet! We'll see... it looked like your cute boys enjoyed themselves though!