Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Small Town Life

When we were deciding where we wanted to live there were a lot of things we had to consider. Having lived in the hustle and bustle of LA/Orange County and then in the very small town and slow paced Pocatello, we knew there were pros and cons to both. One of my favorite things about Poky was the small town feel...hometown parades, mom and pop restaurants and all.
We are really lucky to have all of that here. Our city is still large enough that we have great options for food, shopping and activities but we also get to have the small town feel. Our city puts on some sort of event at least once a month. From free family movie night at the baseball stadium to a huge annual Christmas party. We always see people we know from either the neighborhood, church, the gym, or preschool.
We spent Friday night (December 10) at a city block party which consisted of a tree lighting ceremony, multiple musical entertainment groups, food vendors, we watched eight hot air balloons be filled (pretty entertaining and fascinating if you haven't seen it before) fireworks and skydivers jump with flares and land right in front of us.
Today, Saturday, we spent the afternoon back at the stadium for the final day of the event.
My camera battery died so I don't have good pictures but here's what we did...

Lincoln, Logan and I rode an elephant
Went in a traditional petting zoo
Went in a petting zoo with massive turtles, an alligator, and snakes
Lincoln got a balloon hat from a cute clown
Shopped in the crafts boutique/vendors
Car show
Lincoln did a couple baseball games
We won Spring Training Tickets
Played in the massive bubble tower
Ate snow cones
Carnival train ride

I didn't go last year because I was home with Logan (who was just about 4 weeks old) but it's become a fun tradition for us. I'm thankful that we have a fun, safe, awesome city that promotes families and fun!

I never imagined that I would be so scared to ride an elephant.  I think having to hold on to the boys while rocking back and forth (so much rocking it could make someone sea sick) made me more nervous than I thought.  It was fun and I would do it again though.
I think this is Logan's first petting zoo.
 The picture is blurry, and you can't see Logan because he was sleeping in his seat, but it was the closest to a family picture that night that I could get. 
 I never knew that hot air balloons were so bright and loud.
 We wanted a picture with this guy because we thought he looked like Troy. Maybe a cousin?! =)
 This skydiver landed right in front of us and Lincoln gave him a high five and told him awesome jump after he put his parachute away.  Still to this day when we drive by the field Lincoln says, skydivers land there.  It's pretty cute. Uncle Asa would be proud.

1 comment:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

He does kind of look like Troy, but maybe an older version. How cool.