Saturday, March 26, 2011

First Parent Teacher Conference

March 22nd I attended my first parent teacher conference with Lincoln's teacher.  It went very well and I learned a lot.  Here is what I learned.

  • Lincoln is incredibly smart.  I'm not trying to brag.  It's just a fact.  His teacher says they are all blown away at his ability to understand concepts and respond appropriately to them.  He is well beyond his years in his vocabulary, opposites, rhyming, and his memory is incredible.  Ricky and I always suspected it but we didn't have other kids to compare him to.  
  • If there is an area that he is struggling with it's his pronunciation of words. We can understand him but it's hard for others to so we need to take care of that now rather than allowing bad habits to continue.  We will also be working to help him use words to express emotions. We will be taking that to the next level. Instead of saying I'm mad and pouting, we will help him to explain why he's mad. He does this already but it's something we have to work hard to do and he needs it to be more consistent. 
  • We will be getting him tested to attend kindergarten early.  He will miss the cut off by one month but I don't want him to be held back over that.  He is excited about school and I think he needs the challenge. It's a fairly involved process and it will also cover speech therapy so we will be going through that soon hopefully. 
Overall we are happy with his progress and school so far has been a very positive experience for him.
 They finally sent his snowman home.
His teacher says that he writes really fast.  Is that the sign of him potentially becoming a doctor or just being a boy?  It probably doesn't mean anything other than the fact that he's 3.
 "Y" is for yarn project. 

No comments: