Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Guess What I Have?

Costochondritis (kos-toe-KHON-dri-tis) is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). It causes sharp pain in the costosternal joint — where your ribs and breastbone are joined by rubbery cartilage. Pain caused by costochondritis may mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions. Your doctor might refer to costochondritis by other names, including chest wall pain, costosternal syndrome and costosternal chondrodynia. Most cases of costochondritis have no apparent cause. In these cases, treatment focuses on easing your pain while you wait for costochondritis to improve on its own.

So, leave it to me to have something weird like this happen to me.  I didn't even know I had joints in my chest.  I guess if I sat down and thought about it I would've figured it out but instead I went to the doctor last week because I had a crazy pain in my chest that stopped me in my tracks and unfortunately brought me to tears. I didn't think it was my heart but figured I should probably get it checked out. Sure enough, after an EKG the my heart looked good and it was just Costochondritis.

It started a couple weeks ago and then got progressively worse.  Long story short, the doctor said it's inflamed and I need to take a week off from tennis. Since I was playing 5 days a week (it started at Nationals when I played 4-6 hours a day) it didn't have enough down time to heal itself. So, no tennis for me this week.  It's been almost a week since I went in and it's still hurting so hopefully I will see some relief soon!


No comments: